Garden finials......

I was out shopping today. 
Not the good type of shopping but the boring supermarket food type of shopping.
 Anyway I was pushing the shopping trolley full of food through the mall complex, trying to manoeuvre it in a straight line instead of the crooked zig zag direction the 3 working wheels wanted it to go in, when something in a shop window caught my eye.
It was a finial. 

For those of you who don't know what a finial is: "The finial is an architectural device, typically carved in stone and employed decoratively to emphasize the apex of a gable or any of various distinctive ornaments at the top, end, or corner of a building or structure. Architectural finials were once believed to act as a deterrent to witches on broomsticks attempting to land on one's roof." (thank you Wikipedia)

I pulled the trolley to an abrupt halt and squeezed the metal beast into the store. 
There they were, two of them in different designs. 
I knew they weren't stone but I picked up the one with the fleur de lei tip and was pleased to find that it was made from a very heavy ceramic. Both finials had been given an aged patina finish and were quite large at about 15-20inches high.

I tipped it upside down and looked at the price.
 $55 it read.
 "Shit" was my reaction. (I think I said it in my head and not out loud in the store)
 I cannot justify spending $110 on two finials because of course I couldn't get one without the other. 
Wait a minute. There's a red sale sign. I move my head to the side to get a better look.
75% off, today only.

YES, you will be mine (I know I did say that out loud)
Aren't they fantastic! 



I can mount them on the top of the house, an arbour, fence post, potting shed etc etc

So beware witches, don't even think about landing your broomstick on my house in Italy. 
I now have finials to protect me!


----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Other peoples finials-








No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...